Polish Toledo

This blog is associated with www.polishtoledo.com

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Search for Copernicus

Polish archaeologists have launched a search for the grave of anuncle of Nicolaus Copernicus in hopes the relative's DNA can confirmthat remains they found last year are indeed those of the 16th-century astronomer.

Poles are almost sure they found Copernicus's remains last year.

The team began its search this week for the coffin of Bishop LukaszWatzenrode, who was Copernicus' maternal uncle and who was buried in1512 in a crypt under the floor of the Roman Catholic cathedral inFrombork, about 180 miles north of the capital, Warsaw.
Other bishops and priests were buried in the crypt after Watzenrode,making the search to find him difficult.


Last year, Poles discovered remains in the church theybelieve to be those of Copernicus, the astronomer who challenged theancient belief that the sun revolved around the earth. He died in1543 at the age of 70 and was buried in the Frombork cathedral.

After the remains were found last year, forensic experts used theskull to reconstruct a face which closely resembled the features andthe broken nose on a self-portrait of Copernicus.
The skull bears a cut mark above the left eye that corresponds with ascar on the self-portrait and experts determined that it belonged toa man who died aged about 70.


After I die; however, let me R.I.P. Don't go disturbing my bones. I don't know why confirming rotted flesh to be Copernicus' is so damn important.

1 Comments:

At 2:07 PM , Blogger Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Denny,
"After I die; however, let me R.I.P. Don't go disturbing my bones. I don't know why confirming rotted flesh to be Copernicus' is so damn important."

Your's probably wouldn't be, your ancestor's though, now that's a whole nother story ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home